February 25, 2014

Milani Rose Powder Blush - 4 new limited edition shades: pics, swatches, review!

Hello, Beautiful!

Milani has launched a second collection of their beautiful-to-look-at, Rose Powder Blushes. This time around they went bolder and brighter! I posted a photo of them on Instagram not long ago when they first showed up on my doorstep. My review from August 2013 of the original limited edition Coming Up Roses Powder Blush, in the shade Bella Rosa, can be found by clicking here. What do I think of the second release of these limited edition blushes? Well, I can certainly say I'm still a huge fan of their Baked Blushes - especially the new Matte Baked Blushes - but I'm not the biggest fan of this blush formula. Check out my review below, including all the product info, after the pics!

Milani Rose Powder Blush
Shades: 05 Coral Cove, 06 Lady Rouge, 07 Love Potion, 08 Tea Rose
Continue scrolling down to see more pics of each individual shade.









Milani Rose Powder Blush
Shade: 05 Coral Cove










Milani Rose Powder Blush
Shade: 06 Lady Rouge










Milani Rose Powder Blush
Shade: 07 Love Potion










Milani Rose Powder Blush
Shade: 08 Tea Rose








Milani Rose Powder Blush Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $7.99 depending where you shop (0.60 oz full size). Available on the Milani website, and at select Walgreens and CVS stores beginning in March (but may be there sooner).
My Rating: 3 out of 5 Kisses

Product Info...

A luxurious matte powder blush that features rose petals micro-milled into the powder to bring out the natural rosy tones. This blush is multi-purpose: use to shape, contour and highlight your face. It's easy to use and streak-free. Suitable for all skin types and tones.

Available in four limited edition shades:
  • 05 Coral Cove
  • 06 Lady Rouge
  • 07 Love Potion
  • 08 Tea Rose


My Review...

I'll start by talking about the ORIGINAL release from over the summer of these limited edition Coming Up Roses collection, Rose Powder Blushes....

My review from August 2013 of the original limited edition Coming Up Roses Powder Blush can be found by clicking here. I had the shade Bella Rosa, which I really did like. I know a lot of people found these blushes to be chalky or dusty, or lacking pigmentation. I personally didn't really have issues with this blush. Sure, it may have been a tad powdery but I could easily work with it. I also didn't mind the pigmentation because I'm not a bold blush wearer - nor am I a huge blush wearer (I only wear blush when I don't have breakouts on my cheeks). I've also heard that some shades were more pigmented and less powdery than others -- from my understanding, the shade I had, Bella Rosa, was one of the shades that people seemed to either love or hate due to the pigmentation/application. In my review, I gave it a 4.5 out of 5 Kisses rating - but looking back I may have given it a 3.5 or a 4. Also, on a side note, I don't like that Milani re-used a shade name for the blush. I had this Rose Powder Blush in the shade Bella Rosa, and they just came out with their new matte Baked Blushes - and one of those is called Bella Rose (and the two shades couldn't be more different). But that's not a huge deal - just something I noticed.

Now let's talk about this release of Rose Powder Blushes...

These shades are much bolder in tone when you look at them, but as far as pigmentation goes, it's very much lacking.  I do think this release of their Rose Powder Blushes have way prettier colors than the original release.

They have the same packaging and style as the originals and I like it - they're large, have a nice clear top to the compact so you can see the beautiful rose design in the blush, and they're a flat bottom and top compact, making them easy to store/stack and not roll around as easily in my blush drawer.

The texture isn't as soft and smooth as I would like, and I do think the texture actually varies slightly between shades. Some shades were softer than others, but they all were a bit powdery and even a bit chalky.

The shades are much bolder and brighter than the original collection, but don't let that scare you in case you are into lighter/softer tones because these aren't as highly pigmented as they may appear - but that can be a good thing for a blush. You don't always need a highly pigmented blush - some people actually prefer a lighter wash of color.

Let's talk about how these swatched -- both finger swatch and brush swatch -- as well as shade description...

Coral Cove looks like a bold orange coral in the compact, but comes off more soft in tone when swatched. It was still a bit orange coral in undertone, but actually appeared a bit more pink on my skintone. When I tried to blend out the swatch on my hand it became a soft coral tone that was really pretty. When I did a brush swatch, it was very, very soft in tone. It was almost hard to see, even when the brush was packed with color. You can certainly still get it to show up on your cheeks, but it won't be vivid and bold unless you applied with your fingers and did a light blend.

Lady Love looks the boldest and most deep shade out of the four, but this was the one that was most disappointing to me. It had the worst texture and didn't blend very well. On the swatch it didn't blend out well - kind of patchy. When I did a brush swatch I was shocked that hardly any product showed on my cheeks. Again, you can work with it but why would you do that when you could get their new Baked Blush in Bella Rosa which has amazing pigmentation, amazing texture and shows up very easily.

Love Potion is a magenta pink type of shade, that actually was the best out of the four - even though blending it out on my hand made it look a bit patchy. It was the brush swatch that proved this was the best of the four, as it showed up a lot easier on my cheeks - still soft in tone, but it was easiest to get color payoff. It's also a really pretty shade. My favorite of the four.

Tea Rose is the most neutral of the four, being a soft mauve pink. It was almost as good in terms of how it swatched and blended, including the brush swatch, as the shade Love Potion. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as Lady Love, but I feel it may have been slightly better than Coral Cove. The shade itself wasn't my favorite of the four, only because I already have a lot that are similar and the other three colors are certainly more bold in tone.



Final thoughts...

I will say that these blushes are really pretty to look at, and I'm a sucker for packaging like this. I also like that you get a lot of product for the price. I may not like them anywhere near as much as Milani's Baked Blushes - their regular line and their new matte line are great - but I still can work with them. They are very powdery though, and some shades seem a bit chalky compared to others.

If you're looking for high pigmentation, then you'll want to skip these. They just won't do it. If you like a softer blush with less pigmentation, then these may be great for you.

Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of these blushes? Which shade is your favorite? Have you tried this or is this on your beauty wish list? Discuss in the comments below.

6 comments:

  1. I just did my review on these too. I am really bummed how bad they perform. That is just my opinion. I would have never wasted my money on these :( I had high hopes for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purrrrrdy. I love your swatches/pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @LVMAKEUP: Yeah, I thought that maybe the second release would mean that they would be reformulated, but nope - they seem to be sort of the same as the previous release. Still, I'm able to work with them -- I just know they'll give a lighter kiss of color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi girl! :), Thanks you saved my money i was thinking to buy the coral one but now i am thinking not to buy it, from few months i am searching for coral powder blush,i dont want to buy expensive one. Can you please let me know the best coral powder blush so i can buy it from drugstore

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ GQ: You're welcome! I'm not at my "office" where my makeup collection is at this moment, so I can't think of many off the top of my head, especially drugstore. I don't have a ton of drugstore blushes.... Milani's baked blush in Luminoso reads more coral peach on me and I love it. I'll have to get back to you once I am able to go through my current blush collection!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)