July 13, 2014

Benefit They're Real! Push-Up Liner - pics, swatches, review

Hello, Beautiful!

Benefit's They're Real! Push-Up Liner has gotten a lot of hype and a lot of mixed reviews... so when Sephora was offering a mini version as a sample, I had to try it out for myself and see what all the hype was about. I love the idea of a gel eye liner in a pen formula - but originally didn't think it was actual gel that came up through a hole in a silicone angled tip. My brain thought it was more of a liquid liner that had a gel-like glide/feel. Of course that was me not really looking into the product or reading anything on it at all.

However, once I did start reading up on it, I started to see a lot of negative reviews. I personally don't think it's as horrible as people make it out to be - I like it actually - but it certainly can be a pain in the ass to work with, and I'll explain why in my review below. I think there is a definite learning curve to this product but it can give you really nice results and amazing staying power.

Also, Maybelline has come out with their own version of the Benefit They're Real! Push-Up liner called Lasting Drama Pen Gel Liner. This product isn't over here in the USA yet, but I'm assuming it will make it's way here eventually.

Continue reading to see my full review, along with all the product info, after the pics!

Benefit They're Real! Push-Up Liner
Shade: Black
Keep in mind, this is just a sample size - NOT the full size.















These pics show my FIRST time trying this liner!







Benefit They're Real! Push-Up Liner Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $24.00 (0.04 oz/1.4 g full size). Available on the Benefit website, at Sephora, at Ulta, and everywhere else Benefit Cosmetics are sold.
My Rating: 3.5/4 out of 5 Kisses

Product Info...

It's the first ever lash-hugging gel liner in a pen! This matte black gel formula won't smudge, budge or dry out and the innovative soft AccuFlex tip hugs your lashline from corner to corner. The closer the line, the bigger the eye!

First time use: Remove and discard the tip protector. Activate They're Real! Push-Up Liner by twisting the base 8 to 10 times or until gel is delivered to the tip. Wipe any excess on tissue (or on your hand -- see my tip below in my review).



My Review...

Let's start with the good about this product....

This liner made it super easy to get a wing with a point on the end. Probably the fastest I was able to achieve a wing without needing to go back and perfect anything. I was actually shocked at how perfect of a wing it could create in a single swipe. Of course that depends on how you're holding the pen - you can't just go stabbing your eye and making squiggly lines and expect it to do all the work for you - BUT if you know how to hold a liquid liner pen, this pen will do the work for you when it comes to creating that wing on the end.

The shade of this liner is a beautiful deep matte black. Really sharp looking on your eye to really define it and make your eyes the center of attention.

And probably the best part is the staying power. On my eyes this liner lasted ridiculously long - even over night! I woke up with perfect wings still - only the very inner portion of the liner was slightly smudged and probably because I rubbed my eye. The staying power alone on this liner I believe prompted Benefit to make the They're Real! Remover. But do you need a special eye makeup remover to remove this product? No. Certainly not. I don't think you need to spend $18 on this makeup remover just to remove this liner (and the They're Real! Mascara). My Maybelline Clean Express liquid eye makeup remover got the job done just fine. Although I can appreciate a good makeup remover; I personally haven't tried the Benefit They're Real! Remover -- but if it's anything like the Make Up For Ever Sens' Eyes makeup remover, then it might be worth it. I personally LOVE the Make Up For Ever Sens' Eyes remover because it is the fastest and gentlest makeup remover I've ever used in my life. And it will remove any and all eye - and even long-wear lip products - with little product and little pressure. It just gets it done.

But with the good, comes some bad..... so let's get into why I don't like this liner.

First, it has a little orange stopper, that if you don't keep and replace each time, your tip will get more clogged up and you'll have more issues. Even though Benefit says to throw that out. I personally think keeping the tip will help prolong the tip from being clogged, but who has time to replace a tiny little tip every time and get their fingers messy with liner?! Ain't nobody got time for that!

But even with that going back into the tip of this liner, you'll still waste product because you will have to squeeze up the excess product from your last use to get any new product to come out. It still slightly dries up and you'll waste some good product too.

Getting it to not come out in a clump is what makes this product have a learning curve. It doesn't come out in a clean line. It comes out in almost a ball. You'll want to do a half click to a full click tops, and even then sometimes I wipe the product on the back of my hand first to get a straight, flat line to work with. I will say, once you do figure out the right amount of clicks and application style, it is a really good liner.

TIP: The excess that you squeeze out doesn't have to go to waste!! Squeeze it out onto the back of your hand and using the non-dried up portion and a liner brush, liner your lower waterline!

If I had not gotten a sample I don't know if I would have purchased this liner after seeing all the reviews. But after trying it for myself I'm not quite sure if I would repurchase or not. I think the formula is amazing --- deep matte black and amazing staying power. The applicator is an innovative idea that makes getting a wing really easy. But this liner can be tricky to work with and I don't think everyone will want to work with it the way it needs to be. Once you get it down it becomes quick and easy, but honestly I think I prefer a regular potted gel liner and a brush. I do think this would be great for travel - no need to carry a brush and a jar. Just a slim liner that is both in one. I'll definitively take this little sample with me when I travel. And I may even re-purchase in the future --- although I'm curious to try the Maybelline version, whenever it gets to the USA!


Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this liner? Have you tried this or is this on your beauty wish list? Discuss in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. In terms of formula and wear time and color this looks and seems great but in terms of a precise wing or flick or edge...I don't see this applicator doing that! Thanks for being so honest! Too many people love this and I would love it maybe if it were in a pot but I love slick perfect eyeliner, I don't see this doing that for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The first time I tried it worked like a dream! Haven't had a bad day with it since. I too heard that you should keep the orange plug, and I did for the first week, but it just kept getting messier, so I chucked it. I've had no issues with it drying out, and I got mine before they hit stores (I work at Ulta and got to go to a class about them and get taught how to use it about two weeks after trying it out first). This is definitely something I am going to buy again!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)